Cessna Silver Eagle Forums
Cessna Silver Eagle Forums
Search | User Listing Forums | Albums | Quotes | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fuel smell fixes
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   P210 Silver Eagle -> MaintenanceMessage format

Jmfmem
Posted 2019-06-30 4:32 PM (#2252)
Subject: Fuel smell fixes

New user

Hello, I have been looking hard at purchasing a Silver Eagle in my area. It has a fairly strong fuel smell inside the cabin. I have read the various previous posts regarding this smell. I have also been told that once the leaks are fixed it may take replacing the interior to fully get rid of the fuel smell. I am loving everything about the plane but not having a decent smelling interior is a showstopper for my wife and me. Has anyone successfully gotten a plane that smells like this to a point where the cabin doesn’t have a jet fuel smell. I am not talking about exhaust smell but a definite jet fuel smell before and after start. It this a common characteristic of these planes and what is worse case scenario to fix it? Thanks for any thoughts and any opinions.
John Freeman
Memphis, TN
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Georg Kraus
Posted 2019-07-13 8:51 AM (#2256 - in reply to #2252)
Subject: Re: Fuel smell fixes

Veteran

They are 3 typical issues for fuel smell. All are easy to solve if your shops knows it!

With Ozone you get your cabine smell-free over night
Wannabe
Posted 2019-08-06 8:36 PM (#2262 - in reply to #2252)
Subject: RE: Fuel smell fixes

Six years ago I looked at 3 different Silver Eagles. Unfortunately they all had the Jet A smell in the cabin. I understand that a common source are leaks associated with the small fuel reservoir header tanks under the cabin floor. Relatively small leaks cause a significant odor.

I would be really careful about unleashing an ozone generator in an airplane cabin. Ozone is a great oxidizer and will accelerate corrosion, and the aging of rubber, plastic, leather, etc.
Georg Kraus
Posted 2019-08-27 3:39 AM (#2263 - in reply to #2262)

Veteran

Honestly...Wannabe....you are wrong...I can invite you to sit in my Silver Eagle...no fuel smell!
There are 3 typical root causes for fuel smell...all can be fixed easily:

- Fuel selector valve
- Seal of centerline tank
- leaks int the fuel lines under the cabin floor

Once you have fixed those potential sources...no problems any more!

Of course, you should not use ozone on a regular base...but if you want to get rid of every smell. A one time ozone treatment is perfect!
dock4400
Posted 2019-08-27 9:42 AM (#2265 - in reply to #2263)

Regular

Yeah, an ozonator can cause corrosion but it has to be used pretty extensively for this to happen. The bigger issue is to make sure it gets totally aired out after usage. O3 can be pretty toxic to humans and pets.

An old country technique for getting rid of odors is to cut a large onion in half and leave it for 24 hours.

On another note, I cannot recall going to any airport and not smelling JetA. Even when it wasn’t my plane....
Wannabe
Posted 2019-09-22 3:41 PM (#2270 - in reply to #2263)

Honestly, George, I must stand corrected. If you say I was "wrong" then obviously I didn't smell Jet fuel in the cabin of Silver Eagles...it must not have really happen. It was probably just a trick played on my olfactory by the airport gnomes.

Seriously, I did not mean to imply that all Silver Eagles had this issue and I certainly believe that your aircraft does not have a jet fuel odor. My apologies if i put you on the defensive about the Silver Eagle fleet and/or your aircraft.

Thanks for the clarification about not using ozone on a regular basis. Some O3 generators are designed for room size spaces, so putting one in the cabin of a P210 could result in very high concentrations of ozone in a short time period.
Georg Kraus
Posted 2019-09-24 6:01 AM (#2271 - in reply to #2270)

Veteran

Hi Wannabe, no need for excuses ;-) We are here to learn from each other :-)

I had once an smell issue with my plane. The Silver Eagle is a high wing. So...if you top the tanks in summer to the max...the expansion of the fuel results in an overflow. In this case the fuel "runs" out of the overflow-valve along the wings and may even run around the door...This caused fuel smell in the cabin.

So in summer time. I learnd not to top off to the max, especially if i park tha plane after refueling.
Georg Kraus
Posted 2019-09-24 6:01 AM (#2272 - in reply to #2270)

Veteran

Hi Wannabe, no need for excuses ;-) We are here to learn from each other :-)

I had once an smell issue with my plane. The Silver Eagle is a high wing. So...if you top the tanks in summer to the max...the expansion of the fuel results in an overflow. In this case the fuel "runs" out of the overflow-valve along the wings and may even run around the door...This caused fuel smell in the cabin.

So in summer time. I learnd not to top off to the max, especially if i park tha plane after refueling.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Registered to: Silver Eagle Forum
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software