Cessna Silver Eagle Forums
Cessna Silver Eagle Forums
Search | User Listing Forums | Albums | Quotes | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fuel Selector Valve stiff
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   P210 Silver Eagle -> General DiscussionMessage format

duklaus
Posted 2019-05-12 10:20 AM (#2236)
Subject: Fuel Selector Valve stiff

(41.76.223.195)
On my last flight I could operate the fuel selector smoothly during flight, but was very stiff on the ground.
Only when I drained some fuel from the header tank the selector was working fine again.

Anyone had the same problem?

Looked at the fuel valve and it is unfortunately not the same as per O&N modification drawing.
Also the fuel drain that comes from the fuel selector is not draining fuel when operated.
(the right drain valve under the aircraft).

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Arne
N6531W
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Posted 2019-05-13 6:59 AM (#2237 - in reply to #2236)
Subject: Re: Fuel Selector Valve stiff

Regular

(79.69.177.147)
I think that the right-hand drain (by the nosewheel door aft-end) is from the large fuel filter. Are the fuel pressure readings normal when the electric fuel pumps are running and the engine is not? Are you shutting off the electric fuel pump (as per the POH) prior to shutdown? Finally, are you using the master fuel shut-off pull-stalk? I never use it - selecting Left or Right is enough, and closing it may create the potential for pressure locks if your L/R selector has an "off" position as per the original Cessna installation. It sounds like your selector may be stiff due to a pressure differential that is somehow alleviated when you drain the header tanks. That is odd because the header tanks are vented through the main tanks and so should be relieved when no pumps are running. Maybe you have a trapped partial vacuum that prevents you from draining the filter and also puts a differential pressure across the selector. I would look to ensure that I had no blockages - and especially - for good measure - that the fuel filter is operating as expected (not bypassing).

Edited by 153201 2019-05-13 7:00 AM
duklaus
Posted 2019-05-19 6:24 AM (#2241 - in reply to #2237)
Subject: Re: Fuel Selector Valve stiff

(41.76.223.195)
153201 - 2019-05-13 6:59 AM
I think that the right-hand drain (by the nosewheel door aft-end) is from the large fuel filter..

I found out, that the right drain is just the remains from the piston version. The fuel selector that I have in my SE is the version with two chambers. The upper one for fuel (in use with the turbine conversion) and the lower chamber was for the vapor return lines and this is also where the drain was connected. They left the drain in and blocked the T-piece. A bit confusing to leave a drain valve in with no use, but this is how it obviously is with my SE.

Are the fuel pressure readings normal when the electric fuel pumps are running and the engine is not? Are you shutting off the electric fuel pump (as per the POH) prior to shutdown? Finally, are you using the master fuel shut-off pull-stalk?.

Yes, the readings are normal, I always shut the pump off prior to shutdown and I never use the shut-off-stalk.

It sounds like your selector may be stiff due to a pressure differential that is somehow alleviated when you drain the header tanks. That is odd because the header tanks are vented through the main tanks and so should be relieved when no pumps are running. Maybe you have a trapped partial vacuum that prevents you from draining the filter and also puts a differential pressure across the selector.

I found, that one fuel cap on one wing was not mounted properly (front marking pointing to the side) from that last refuelling. I can hardly imagine, that this was the cause (alone), but at least it relates to venting and pressure. I had the SE on the ground now for some days and the valve is still moving smoothly.

Thanks David for your input. At least, I now know what fuel selector I have built in and that the one drain valve is inop ;-)

Arne

Edited by duklaus 2019-05-19 6:32 AM

(Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-19 um 12.29.09.jpg)

(Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-19 um 12.27.30.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-19 um 12.29.09.jpg (74KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-19 um 12.27.30.jpg (67KB - 0 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Registered to: Silver Eagle Forum
(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software