Cessna Silver Eagle Forums
Cessna Silver Eagle Forums
Search | User Listing Forums | Albums | Quotes | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

G600 Data Cards
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   P210 Silver Eagle -> AvionicsMessage format

Jamespbaum
Posted 2013-11-29 11:28 AM (#1292)
Subject: G600 Data Cards

I had a frustrating experience with my G600 recently and only after many calls to Garmin and Jeppesen (and many different Garmin techs) did we figure out what was going on. I have a G600 with Jeppesen ChartView. I keep all the data bases up to date somewhat religiously. The updating procedure requires that you program NAV data to one card and all the other databases (Terrain, Charts, Safe Taxi, Obstacles, Airport Directory) to another. The black card (top slot of the G600) is meant to contain only the NAV data. The blue TSO'ed card goes in the bottom slot and contains all the other databases.

After a recent update, I discovered that I was unable to access my ChartView instrument charts. The unit offered no explanation of an error ("GDU DB Error - GDU Multiple Database Errors Exist") and did not appear to even be configured for ChartView any longer (see attached pictures). I assumed that I had a corrupted download and got Jepp to allow me to re-download the charts database. After trying this several times on my Mac, and having the Jepp guys tell me how much they hate the Mac JDM application (which I have used successfully since they released it), I could never get the G600 to recognize and display charts. I tried again on a Windows machine using the JSUM application and still had the same problem. No charts. At least at this point I could safely assume that the problem did not lie with the Mac JDM download process.

After all these downloads and attempts to get the charts working, one clever Garmin second line support guy (the front line guys finally gave up and went to the next level of support tech) suggested we look at the content of the NAV data (black) card. The G600 uploads the NAV database into it's own memory at the time of update. As such, the top card does not need to be installed during operation of the unit. That said, I always left it there after the update mainly for safe keeping. When we looked at the contents of that card, we discovered that there was a copy of the Charts database (which is supposed to be on the blue card only). That Charts database was also one revision BEHIND the current database on the blue card.

Turns out that the update before the one where the charts stopped working, I accidentally programmed the Charts database onto the wrong card (the black one). I called Jepp at that time and they gave me another download which I put on the correct card (the blue one). When I installed the cards at that time (both cards containing the same revision of the charts database), everything worked fine. I promptly forgot that I had inadvertently put the Chart database on the black card and the next time I updated the databases, placing the Chart database on only the correct (blue) card, the charts disappeared. Once we finally figured this out (and it is NOT common knowledge around Jepp and Garmin), I reformatted the black card (BTW - never reformat the blue card), reinstalled the NAV database, and everything was just fine once again.

So the moral of the story is to be sure that each database exists on the correct card and ONLY that card. The Garmin guy suggested operating the G600 without the black (top) card installed and inserting that card only for NAV data updates. Obviously, this would prevent this problem from occurring.

It took many different tech reps and many phone calls to ultimately figure out what was going on. Hopefully my experience may help someone else save a bunch of time and frustration trying to figure out what happened to their ChartView charts.

(photo 1.JPG)

(photo 2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments photo 1.JPG (393KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments photo 2.JPG (400KB - 2 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Al Davies
Posted 2014-07-23 1:04 AM (#1493 - in reply to #1292)
Subject: RE: G600 Data Cards

New user

Thanks for posting this.
Al Davies
Posted 2014-07-24 10:38 AM (#1494 - in reply to #1292)
Subject: RE: G600 Data Cards

Regular

Thanks also.

On my G500 I found that you can update the bottom card only, using the FLYGARMIN website, for all the databases including the NAVDB (I am in Europe). Then one does not need to use the upper card slot at all.

D
dkliman
Posted 2018-05-16 12:27 PM (#2117 - in reply to #1292)
Subject: Re: G600 Data Cards

New user

Thank you!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Registered to: Silver Eagle Forum
(Delete all cookies set by this site)